February 14, 2009

I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

Fact, the Golden Globes is the pinnacle of achievement in the world of television entertainment.

However, the gala event of prestige and refinement is certainly not the awards show of yesteryear. While the awards shows have long been known for decadent smiles, polite golf claps, and zealous thanks for all the little people, few would expect multiple references to someones "balls", an impromptu flipping of the bird, and a casual taunting by Tina Fey to one of her harsher critics to, "suck it."

While these are terse gestures to grab cheap laughs simply to inflate the already aggrandized egoes of the award recipient, they are not overly reproachful nor unheard of.

This, nevertheless, is not my qualm with this year's Golden Globe awards. Nay, it was the unfortunate love affair between the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and Tina Fey's pet project, 30 Rock. Now don't get me wrong, 30 Rock is not a bad show, but a 5-time Golden Globe winner? Hardly. Tina Fey has her moments where her quirkiness and wit are quite amusing, as are Baldwin's backhanded compliments and neurotic behavior, but the blandness and indistinct characterization of the majority of the cast leaves the audience wanting more.

Herein lies my true issue with this years Golden Globes, The Office was robbed. The Office is a far superior comedy with a paramount cast. What is truly novel about The Office is the variety of every episode. Not only is every character unmistakably unique, each every one delivers a comedic style that is clever and refreshing. Whether it is the subtle nuances of sarcasm extolled by Jim, the defeatist attitude of Toby, or the bizarre and sometimes outlandish claims of Creed, the diverse humor will always catch you off guard and keep you engrossed in the episode.

Now, granted this is just my opinion, but don't think I haven't done my homework. In the last 3 seasons (I only claim 3 since that is how long 30 Rock has existed) The Office has consistently outperformed 30 Rock. As far as viewership, 30 Rock has had 5.8, 6.4, and 7.2 million viewers in its 3 consecutive seasons. In the same 3 seasons, The Office has had 8.8, 9.5, and 10.47 million viewers respectively. Apart from viewership, The Office has been ranked significantly better than 30 Rock in all 3 seasons since 30 Rocks inception.
Statistics courtesy of Wikipedia. "
Wikipedia. Is the best thing ever. Anyone, in the world, can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information." -Michael Scott (and just one more reason that The Office is better than 30 Rock).

You may be saying, "Well those are simply statistics." I agree, but if you were to wander over to tv.com or metacritic.com you will find that viewers have ranked The Office higher than 30 Rock. So what does this tell you? It tells you that not only are more people tuning into watch Michael Scott make a fool of himself in front of his employees rather than see Jack Donaghy (Baldwin's character on 30 Rock for those who don't know) belittle people on the set. Also, I realize that it is not the average viewer that votes on the Golden Globes, but 90 international journalists, but one would think that they would tend to agree with the audience.

It killed me to see Steve Carell sit there and smile while Baldwin walked on stage to accept the Golden Globe that, rightfully, should have been Carell's. The character of Michael Scott has evolved greatly from season 1 and has grown more comical by the season. Having won the Golden Globe award in 2006 for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy, it would seem apparent that Carell would win it a second time since his character has grown so much more versatile.

The cast has grown together and has such an effective dynamic it would seem inevitable that The Office's cast would take the Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy easily, but alas 30 Rock stole the show again, no pun intended. My favorite part by far was Tracy Morgan's (the self-proclaimed face of post-racial America) slurred acceptance speech, which he declared (with some degree of apparent intoxication) was only possible because Obama had been elected President. I'm not at all sure what he said, but I know one thing for sure, "somebody going to get pregnant." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOhKrL5DB1Y


Lastly, Tina Fey won
the Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy and I can totally agree with this one. What I was appalled by was the fact that Jenna Fischer was not even nominated for the category. Debra Messing however was. Debra Messing? Seriously? She was washed up before the first season of Will and Grace ended.

Oh well, I suppose I can take solace in the fact that The Office was given the coveted spot immediately following the Super Bowl, and not 30 Rock.

And regardless of the fact that I actually do enjoy 30 Rock, I can't be happy for its "apparent" success over The Office. So I guess what I'm saying is...
"Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh I donno, I sing in the shower? Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me-- no, don't sue me. That is opposite the point I'm trying to make." -Michael Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment