February 8, 2009

What's it going to be then, eh?

I've been considering starting a blog for a long while now. Each time I've felt prompted by something, I lose the motivation just as quickly as it came. Very often, these whims are brought on by something that has irked me beyond reason, and more often than not for no reason.

Today I was pushed passed the breaking point.

So, you may ask yourself what could it be that finally spurred me on to create this blog. Easy, the job market.

As a soon-to-be college graduate, I am actively in pursuit of a job. The first place they tell you to start, they being employees of my university's career center, is your schools career listing site. I have been hitting that jive up constantly since November of last year, and have yet to find a single job that fits my degree. I will be leaving school with a graduating class of approximately 600-800 students. That is not a ridiculous amount of people, but when combined with the numerous other colleges in the area, the amount of recent grads flooding the market can quickly add up. One other thing I should mention about my schools career listing site, there are only 290 postings available, many of which are teaching English in East Asia.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be some disconnect here? Of the other listings, a great deal of them require multiple years of experience, and others are internships.

Now, I understand that this website was made to serve current students and alumni who are looking for career opportunities. However, I'm going to assume that the majority of people who use this website are CURRENT students looking for FULL TIME employment. Bearing that in mind, one would think that there would be some sort of filter to remove jobs that require years of experience. No, there's not.

That being said, the remainder of postings are local entry level jobs. However, these are the same postings which are being advertised at all other regional schools. So let's do some math. Of the 290 postings, let's be generous and say 200 are local entry level jobs. If we divide that by the number of graduates coming out of my school, that is 200/800, or 1/4, or one job for every four students. Considering the number of other schools in this region, there will be an avg 1000 graduates from 4 different schools. That makes for 4800 graduates in a small, generally rural, area. If each of the respective schools posts an equitable amount of jobs with no overlap, I would say each would have 100 unique posts, making that 500 jobs for 4800 students.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, the website seems pointless. I thought to myself, "Why not go talk to someone in career services?" So I did, and the first question they asked was, "Are you registered on (insert career listing webste here)?" That's when my faith in the career center crumbled.

Where next does one look for potential job leads? Careerbuilder.net? Monster.com? It's worth a shot, until you realize that all those jobs are either unskilled labor, part-time positions, or some type of pyramid scheme. So why bother?

Well, I guess the whole point of this blog is to say, if you know someone who is looking for a highly-motivated, creative marketing major fresh out of college, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Career Services is a joke. I have had the same experience numerous times and it always begins with "have you checked the website." I was also told GEICO doesn't offer internships. GEICO hires more interns than any other company in the Unites States and one of their main offices is right here in Macon! There are 4 full time employees in career services doing as much work in a week that a disgruntled Caf worker does in a shift. That's why you don't major in psychology...

    Anyway, you might want to check with GEICO. They are looking for business majors of all types.

    ReplyDelete